Saturday, March 9, 2019

Windows of the Soul

   Our soul is like a house with windows clouded by the wants, desires and priorities in life.  The light of God is lessened by the dirt and grime on those windows.  My biggest regret is not thoroughly cleaning them many years ago to let the light of God shine through.  The brilliance of His light makes all else seem trivial and fair less important.

   As a young man, I had no faith.  I barely knew of God and faith had not yet entered my life.  Through the grace of God I found faith and joined the Church.  Still my faith was young and insecure.  I lacked understanding and even the real desire to learn more.  I had found faith but had yet to let it grow within me.

   My faith began to increase over the years, but I was still a novice in faith.  I didn’t devote the time and effort needed to make it grow.  A Navy career and a second civilian career took most of my time.  I was wrapped up in worldly matters.  I worked hard to succeed in my Naval career and put in many hours to grow and develop my career in the business world.  Sadly, my priorities were focused on secular concerns rather than the spiritual.

   I began to recognize that I was missing something that no amount of hard work in any profession could satisfy.  I needed more.  My turning point began when I attended a retreat focused on Christ and His will for our life.  At that retreat I finally understood that if my faith were to grow I would have to make it a priority.  If I were to better know and love God and increase my faith it would have to become the main goal in life.

   I’ve come to realize that all that went before is as ashes; nothing could compare with the joy and peace found in getting to know my God at a deeper level and allowing Him to increase my faith as He wills.

Lord, faith is a gift.
You give it to those who ask and seek it.
Fill me with the faith that overcomes all things.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment