Monday, April 29, 2019


The Strength of the Lord

   “The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts; so I am helped, and my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.  The Lord is the strength of his people, he is the saving refuge of his anointed.” (Psalm 28: 7 – 8)

   It’s sometimes hard to trust in God.  When tragedy strikes our first question is “why?”.  Why did this happen; what good can possibly come of it?  I’ve found that there is no answer to these questions.  To continue asking them only makes things worse.

   Sometimes we want to blame God.  Sometimes we want to turn away and say there is no God.  It’s difficult to find God in tragedy, but He is there.  Our heart may be broken but He can heal it.  Our life may be in turmoil, but He can settle the confusion and bring peace.  He can give us rest.

   I think of Our Blessed Mother and the pain she endured.  She watched as her son was beaten, spit upon and forced to carry His cross through the streets filled with jeering crowds.  She stood nearby as they nailed Him to the cross.  She watched with Him as His life drained from His beaten, battered body.  Yet she trusted, she stayed at His side.  She knew who He was and that He would arise and bring peace and salvation to all who believe.

   Hers is the trust we must try to emulate.  Her love for God is the love we must have.  Her strength and her faith give me strength and increase my faith.  There is nothing stronger than a mother’s love.

Lord, we are broken and hurt.
We turn to you for comfort and peace.
We know of the pain Your mother endured.
Her faith and love strengthen us.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment