Tuesday, April 30, 2019


Peace

   “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.  Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.” (John14: 27)

   At times accepting the peace Jesus promised seems almost impossible.  It is a tremendous challenge to trust in His promise when the world seems determined to destroy our peace.  Yet, this is what He promised, and He does not lie.

   I struggle to find the peace our Lord is offering.  Somehow I can’t seem to find it when I need it most.  I know it’s there; He tells me so.  It’s just that it seems so distant at times.  I seek His peace.  I pray for the peace.  Still it doesn’t come.  Why does it remain so hard to find?

   This world blocks the path of peace and the obstacles can be hard to overcome.  At times it seems I’m halfway up the mountain and have fallen to rocks below.  The pain and despair come flooding back, blocking the peace I seek.

   Yet my faith tells me that the peace is there.  It is up to me to accept it.  In the darkest hour it is there; at the depths of my sorrow it is there.  If only I could grasp it and hold on.  But it slips away so easily and is so hard to find.

Lord, I seek the peace you promised.
Give me the strength to find it.
Help me hold on to it.
Take away the pain and give me your peace.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment