Friday, March 1, 2024

 Fifth Station of the Cross

Simon of Cyrene Helps Jesus carry His cross 

   “And as they led him away, they seized one Simon of Cyrene, who was coming in from the country, and laid on him the cross, to carry it behind Jesus.” (Luke 23: 26)

   Did the Roman soldiers force Simon to carry the cross for Jesus because they were sympathetic to Him?  Of course not, there was no mercy, no kindness in their actions.  They could see that He was very weak and perhaps would not be able to continue much longer.  It would have gone very bad for them had He died on the way and was not crucified.  Simon just happened to be there when they decided that Jesus needed help.

   What about Simon?  He had nothing to do with any of this.  He was just coming into town, most likely for Passover.  Now he was conscripted to carry the cross of a man condemned to die.  We don’t know if Simon even knew who Jesus was.  He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Once he gets Jesus to Golgotha nothing more is known of Simon.  Did he come to know who he had helped?  Was he later converted to believe in Jesus as the long-awaited savior?  We can only speculate.

   When I think of Simon, I think of how I can help Jesus carry His cross.  “Then Jesus told his disciples, ‘If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.” (Matt 16:24).  Do I pick up my cross and follow Him?  Would I follow Him all the way to Calvary?  I pray that, had I been there, I would have willingly and lovingly helped my Savior carry His cross.

   If I help others to bear their cross I am also helping Jesus carry his cross.  In this way I can contribute to the sacrifice our Lord made for me.  His sacrifice is complete whether I participate or not and I can add nothing to the perfect sacrifice He made.  Yet I believe Jesus wants our help.  He wants us to imitate Him in holiness and sacrifice; to feed Him, clothe Him, visit Him.  In other words, He wants us to follow His example in what He did for us and for others.  In this way we can be like Simon and help the Lord carry His cross.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment