Monday, March 25, 2024

 Suffering 

   Suffering is one of the great mysteries of life.  Suffering is never welcomed in life, but it is also unavoidable.  It comes in many forms and in many degrees of severity.  How we deal with our suffering is an integral part of our spiritual life.

   Throughout Lent we consider the suffering and sacrifice our Lord made to redeem us of our sins.  We recognize that our sins are offensive to a loving God and that even the sins we commit today are responsible for the suffering Jesus endured.  He took upon Himself the sins of the entire world for all time and paid the price necessary for their forgiveness.

   When I consider the suffering I have known I try to see it in relation to the suffering of Christ and understand that nothing I have suffered can possibly be as bad as that suffered by my Lord.  My suffering doesn’t compare with that of the many martyrs who faced torture and incredibly painful death for their faith.

   We hear that we should “offer” our suffering to Christ and I used to wonder what that meant.  I have come to believe that in some mysterious way the minor suffering I may endure can be added to the much greater suffering of my Lord to help in the redemption of sinners.  I can’t explain it, but I know that He can take whatever I offer and make it serve the good He desires.

   While we continue with Holy Week let’s offer whatever suffering we may be experiencing to our Lord in thanksgiving for the suffering He endured for us.  Let us pray that our suffering, however minor or severe, can somehow be used by Christ for the conversion of sinners.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment