Tuesday, March 26, 2024

 To Live In Christ 

   “For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.  But if I continue living in the body, that will mean fruitful work for me.  Hence, I do not know which I should choose.” (Phil 1: 21: 22) 

   St. Paul’s indecision is one I have shared.  At times I have offered my life to God, almost pleading that He take it soon.  Times when I felt there was little reason to continue.

   At the same time I realized that such a prayer goes against my desire to live in the will of God.  The day and time of my demise was established before time began and I have no right to wish to change it.  God’s plans for me are in many ways unknown to me.  Therefore, it is not up to me to question them, but rather to accept what comes each day as the will of God, never doubting that, in the end, it will lead me home.

   I think of the humanity of Christ during His last week on earth.  Since He was fully human as well as fully divine, He must have had the same questions and doubts concerning what was to come.  Even His prayer in the Garden of Gethsemane speaks to this, “My Father, if it be possible, allow this cup to be taken from me.  Yet let  your will, not mine, be done.” (Matt 26: 39).

   It is for me and for each Christian to have this same attitude.  To pray for what we wish is natural and good, but it must always be subjected to the will of the Father.  Willingly and lovingly submitting our will to the will of God regardless of the consequences is to live in Christ and die to self.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment