Sunday, November 18, 2018


The Spirit of God

   “The holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you.”  (Luke 1: 35)

   These words of the angel Gabriel to Mary announced the means by which she would bear the Son of God.  By the Holy Spirit she would conceive though she was a virgin.  With God all things are possible.

   The Holy Spirit is waiting to overshadow us as well.  He will fill us as He filled the Blessed Mother; as He filled the prophets with the word of God; as He filled the Martyrs with the conviction to live and die for God.  He won’t push His way in; He won’t knock down the door, but He will fill us if we invite Him.

   When we ask the Spirit to dwell within us, we are making a commitment to try out best to follow the guidance He will bring to us.  The Spirit will help strengthen us in our efforts to avoid sin.  We will fail and we will fail again but the Holy Spirit will never forsake us; He will be with us in all things.

   Our life can be changed by the Holy Spirit if we are willing to open ourselves to Him.  Mary’s response was, “Behold, I am the handmaid of the Lord.  May it be done to me according to your word.” (Luke 1: 38) This should also be our response to the Holy Spirit.  Come Lord, fill me and let me be the servant of the Lord.  May your will be done.

Father send your Holy Spirit upon me.
Let Him fill my life and guide me on the path to you.
Help me to trust in You even when I don’t understand.
Give me the faith and hope to live my life in Your will.

Amen


No comments:

Post a Comment