Saturday, December 8, 2018



A Strong Foundation


   “Everyone who listens to these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock.  The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and buffeted the house.  But it did not collapse; it had been set solidly on rock.”  (Matt 7: 24 – 25)


   Advent is an excellent time to review the foundations of my faith.  As I prepare to welcome Christ’s birth in Jerusalem, I am also preparing to welcome Him into my life.  I want Him to come and reside in within me, to use my body is His temple.  Am I ready to welcome Him or are there some repairs needed before He arrives?


As any homeowner is aware, a home or foundation that is ignored will suffer damage.  Little things will grow into major problems.  Something that could have been done quickly and easily becomes difficult and expensive to correct if ignored.  My life and my faith foundation is very similar.  If I don’t care for it properly I open it to damages from Satan and his temptations.

   I listen to the words of Jesus at Mass and read even more of His word throughout the week.  I know the commandments; I’ve read the beatitudes. I know that Jesus said the first and most important commandment is to love God with all our heart, mind and soul.  I know that the second is to love our neighbor as ourselves.  But do I act on His words in my life?


   Do I keep God foremost in my life or has pride and self-interest become a problem?  Do I accept others as children of God or shut them out because they are different?  Do I reach out to those in need, sharing the blessings God has given me or keep them for myself?


   If the foundation of my faith needs repair I must to turn to God in prayer.  In prayer I can be in His presence and there’s no better place to find love, mercy and direction in my life.  He can give me all the support needed to correct any deficiencies in my faith foundation and make it whole.  God will provide all I need to complete any needed repairs.  Only He can heal me.


   “And anyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool who built his house on sand.” (Matt 7: 26)


No comments:

Post a Comment