Friday, December 7, 2018


Seeking the Newborn King

   “Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, Wise Men from the East came to Jerusalem, saying, ‘Where is he who has been born king of the Jews?  For we have seen his star in the East, and have come to worship him.”  (Matt 2: 1 - 2)

   Little is known of the Wise Men.  They were from the East, but we don’t know where.  We don’t know if they were royalty although they are referred to as the Kings at times.  They had seen his star in the East; were they astronomers?  Perhaps most telling is they came to worship him.  They weren’t Jews so why would they come to worship the newborn King of the Jews?

   I think the Wise Men represent all Christians.  It seems to me that their desire to find and worship Him tells us that His kingdom is not just for the Jews but for the whole world.  Their visit says to all people that Jesus and His message is for everyone.

   I’ve sought Jesus in many ways and continue to seek Him.  He is within me and I am very blessed because of it.  But just as I want better to know a new friend, I want to know all I can about my Lord.  I want to go to that cave in Bethlehem with the Wise Men and worship Him; to give Him a gift.

   There are untold numbers of books to help me learn more of Jesus and I love exploring them as much as possible.  But the knowledge of my heart and soul is the best way to know Him.  In prayer I meet Him on a very personal level.  I know Him just a bit better each time I pray and commune with Him in my heart.  In this way I know Him more and more each day.

   The Magi brought gifts of gold, frankincense and myrrh for our Lord.  A popular Christmas song says the little drummer boy had no gift fit for a king so his gift to was to play his drum as best as he good.  The shepherds came to see Him, but nothing is mentioned of a gift.  Perhaps their very presence and recognition of the birth of the Savior was gift enough.

   What can I give Him on His birthday to recognize all He has given me?  I can give Him my heart, to love Him more each day.  I can give Him my soul and ask for His strength to protect it from the evil one.  I can give Him my hands, my feet, my voice and all that I am.  I can give Him my sins to forgive and wash away.  I can give Him my life as He gave His for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment