Tuesday, May 1, 2018


Love of Neighbor and Self

   “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matt 22: 39)  Jesus’ ministry was one of love.  He spoke of the total love of God and love of neighbor as the two commandments on which the entire law was based.

   Before we can love our neighbor as Jesus taught we must understand how to love ourselves.  For me love of self can be difficult at times. When I’ve sinned again even though I’ve tried to avoid sin or when I’ve spoken in anger to someone I love, I find it hard to even like myself nevertheless love myself.  How can we love ourselves when we sometimes don’t even like ourselves?

   Stand in front of a mirror and look at the person you see.  Is it a lovable person?  Bob Dylan, in “Positively 4th Street” sang, “Yes, I wish for just one time you could stand inside my shoes.  You’d know what a drag it is to see you.”  Would it be a drag for you to see the person in that mirror coming toward you?  I believe we all have times when we would rather not see ourselves.  Yet we must learn to love ourselves.

   Despite our faults, sins, and shortcomings Jesus loves us so there must be something within us worthy of love.  If we are to love our neighbor as He told us we must find that value within ourselves.  Once we understand how to love ourselves we can better love others.

   As in most things Jesus gives us the answer if we only look.  As He was preparing the disciples for His passion and death He told them, “A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another.” (John 13: 34).  We must love ourselves and one another as Jesus love us.

   Jesus’ live was one of love.  He loved everyone, even those who would nail Him to the cross.  He refused to condemn a prostitute brought before Him for stoning.  Instead He forgave her sins and she became His follower.  He ate with sinners; he welcomed Matthew the tax collector into His ministry; He prayed to the Father to forgive those who crucified Him.

   This is the love we must first show to ourselves and then to others.  We need to see Him in us as He did.  We have to acknowledge our faults but welcome the unfailing mercy and forgiveness of God.  We must be confident in the fact that God loves us and wants us to share eternity with Him.  We must love ourselves as He loves us.

   Once we can love ourselves in this manner then, and only then, can we love one another as Jesus asks of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment