Sunday, May 13, 2018


The Ascension

   I find tremendous joy and peace when I contemplate Jesus’ ascension.  It assures me that He is there at the Father’s right hand to intercede for me.  He will return and take me to himself.

   It’s very easy to get discouraged with the things of this world.  We see evil and sinfulness everywhere we look.  It can overwhelm us if we let it.  The ascension of the Lord gives us the promise of eternal peace and happiness if we remain faithful.  We can look to this event as a precursor of what is in store for us.  Jesus promised that He will come back and take us to Himself.  He has won the war even though we still have battles to fight in this world.

   His apostle’s watched as he ascended into the clouds.  Then they waited for coming of the Holy Spirit promised by Jesus.  He had commissioned them to preach the gospel to the whole world and this they did, risking their own lives in the effort.  They were confident in Jesus’ promise to return and take them to Himself.  They had the courage to pick up their cross and follow Him.

   The promise of the ascension of Christ is the promise of our own salvation and assumption into heaven at the proper time.  It is what gives us the hope and courage to pick up our cross and follow Him as those before us have done.  It gives us the confidence that, even though we may suffer for our faith, Jesus is always with us even to the end of time.

   “And when I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.” (John 14: 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment