Thursday, February 16, 2023

 God Will Provide 

   “He said to them, ‘Take nothing for the journey, neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic.’” (Luke 9: 3) 

   When Jesus sent His apostles to proclaim the kingdom of God He told them to take nothing with them.  I have always read this as indicating that they should rely upon the Lord to provide their needs as they spread the word of God.

   I believe that these words are also meant for me and for all Christians.  It says to me that I must place the mission of all Christians, spreading the word and the love of God, above any worldly needs or desires.  To focus on serving the Lord and trusting in Him to provide as He will for the needs of this world.

   “So do not worry and say, ‘What are we to eat?’ or ‘What are we to drink?’ or ‘What are we to wear?’.  All these things the pagans seek.  Your heavenly Father knows that you need them.  But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be given you besides.” (Matt 6: 31 – 33).  Jesus was again telling His disciples that they are to be concerned with spiritual rather than worldly things; that God know our needs and will provide.  This attitude of detachment from worldly needs and desires applies to all Christians, not just the apostles.

   It comes down to trust in God and His promises.  If I truly place myself in service to the Lord, I must trust that He will provide for me as needed.  I may not have all the things I want or think I need, but God will provide for what is truly needed and will never forsake me.

No comments:

Post a Comment