Friday, February 17, 2023

 The Crosses We Bear 

   “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.” (Mark 8: 34) 

   Throughout our lives we are called to bear many crosses.  Some are relatively easy to carry, some are more difficult, and some seem unbearable.  In each case, however, we are to pick up that cross and, with the help of our Lord, bear it for the greater glory of God.

   Whenever I think a cross is too heavy or more than I can bear I remember the cross Christ bore for me.  From the palace of Pilate to the place of His crucifixion on Calvary He bore the weight of His cross.  I believe that cross was weighed down not only by the wood of the cross but also by the sins of all humanity, present, past, and future.  “He Himself bore our sins in His body upon the cross, so that, free from sin, we might live for righteousness.  By His wounds you have been healed.” (1 Peter 2: 24).

   But why must we bear crosses a lot of people ask.  If God loves us and cares for why are we given crosses to bear?  In my mind there are two reasons that we are to bear our crosses and to bear them willingly.  First as a reminder of our weaknesses and to teach us humility before God.  By our crosses we are reminded that we are not in control, God is.

   Secondly, if Christ, the Son of God, was willing to bear the many crosses He knew in His life to offer me redemption and salvation, I must freely bear my cross in thanksgiving to Him for all He has done for me.  I believe that when I offer my suffering and pain to Him in prayer the crosses I bear are somehow united with Him and can, in some mysterious way, benefit all of humanity through the grace of God.

   Each time we are asked to carry the cross and follow Jesus, we need to remind ourselves of the crosses, the pain and agony that He bore for us.  We need to trust in God’s will and know that He will never give us a cross that we cannot bear.  In His love and mercy He will give us the strength to overcome any hill, any mountain we are asked to climb.

No comments:

Post a Comment