Wednesday, December 13, 2023

 A Child Is Coming 

   “Behold, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son, and you will name him Jesus.” (Luke 1: 31) 

   I remember very clearly each day that our children came into our life.  It was a day of expectation and wonder.  What will this child grow up to be?  How will I protect them, love them, help them to grow?  So many questions and so few answers.  Especially with the first, but each was different, so their needs were different as well.

   During this season of Advent I spend time contemplating Mary, Joseph, and the birth of Jesus.  I can’t imagine the questions they must have experienced.  My wife and I were welcoming new life, a child into our home; they were welcoming that as well, but also the Savior of the world.  How they must have wondered; trusting always in God but wondering about this incredible blessing and responsibility to which they had been called.

   I can’t imagine our reaction if a bunch of men smelling of sheep showed up to gaze upon our children in awe and wonder, talking about angels telling of their birth.  Or even more, three kings led by a star, bearing gifts for the newborn child.  Mary and Joseph knew that this child was far different from any other, but could they have expected such unusual visitors to welcome His birth?

   This season is a season of wonder.  Wonder at His birth, wonder at His life, wonder of how He loves us so much.  It is a time of wonder and thanksgiving for a Savior who would redeem us of our sins and open the doors to heaven for all who would believe.

   “He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High.  The Lord God will give him the throne of his ancestor David.  He will rule over the house of Jacob forever, and of his kingdom there will be now end.” (Luke 1: 32 – 33).  Amen Lord! come,  rule over my house, my life, and my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment