Wednesday, December 20, 2023

 Servants of the Lord 

   “Then Mary said, ‘Behold, I am the servant of the Lord.  Let it be done to me according to your word.’” (Luke 1: 38) 

   Mary’s response to God when she was called to be the Mother of His Son is what every Christian should profess and do.  We are to be servants of the Lord, following His will wherever it may lead.

   Sometimes submitting to God’s will isn’t easy, His call many times involves hardships, persecutions and even martyrdom.  All of the apostles, except for St. John, were martyred for their faith.  Many early Christians were horribly tortured and murdered for their refusal to deny Christ.  They recognized that the reward that awaited them far outweighed the agony they would endure by remaining faithful to Christ.

   I often wonder how many of today's Christians would suffer such treatment rather than deny Christ.  I wonder if I would have such courage and pray that I would.  I pray that if I don’t, my Lord would grant me such courage.

   Christmas is a joyous season, a time to celebrate the birth of our Savior.  It is also a time to remember all those who have followed Him all the way to their Calvary.  The world hates God, they deny Christ, and they are still persecuting those who follow Him.  Even today, some are willing to suffer martyrdom rather than deny their faith.  Jesus came to serve, not to be served and He gave His life for us.  We need to ask ourselves…..if we are a servant of the Lord, are we willing to suffer for Him as He suffered for us?

No comments:

Post a Comment