Thursday, December 14, 2023

 How Deep Is the Ocean? 

   I often use the analogy of the ocean for faith and trust in God.  There are many places in the oceans where the bottom has not been explored; the Marianas Trench is seven miles deep and still has parts no one has seen.

   The oceans, the seas, and even some mountain tops still retain many secrets; secrets that will come to light as new depths and heights are explored.  Scripture is much the same, the depths and the heights of knowledge are unending.  No matter how often I explore scripture I find new life, new meaning, new and deeper faith.

   It has been my experience that scripture never stops providing new experiences in coming to know God better.  Things I have read many times before sometimes reveal a new truth or concept of faith that I had missed in my earlier readings.  Sometimes I think it is related to what is going on in my life at the time.  At other times I’m confident it is God speaking to me what He wants me to hear through His word.

   When Jesus was preparing to leave His apostles and ascend into heaven He made them this promise, “However, the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything and remind you of all that I have said to you.” (John 14: 25 – 27).

   The Holy Spirit guides the Church and will guide each of us as well if we come to Him in faith and trust, seeking what God wants to say rather than what we want to hear.  Just as God is eternal, there is no end to what He wishes to share with us when we seek Him with a sincere longing for His will in all things.

No comments:

Post a Comment