Friday, April 6, 2018

Quiet Time

Before naming the twelve apostles Jesus went to pray alone.  In those days he departed to the mountain to pray, and he spent the night in prayer to God.” (Luke 6: 12).  When He learned of the death of John the Baptist, “he withdrew in a boat to a deserted place by himself.” (Matt 14: 13).”  After feeding the five thousand He sent the Apostles on ahead of Him. “After doing so he went up on the mountain by himself to pray.” (Matt 14: 23).  When facing His passion He left the apostles and went to pray by Himself in Gethsemane.  Solitary prayer had a significance in Jesus’ life and ministry.  He took time away from others to commune in private with God. 

   This is a practice that I think is vital to our relationship with God.  A few moments of quiet time spent in prayer with God is a beautiful way to begin or end the day.  The noise and distraction of our world today can drown out virtually anything including our attentiveness to God.  We need to withdraw, be quiet and have one-on-one time with Him.

   The time I spend in quiet reading and prayer are the best times of my day.  I’m usually up quite early while things are still quiet.  I take that opportunity to pray with God’s word, letting it lead me where it will.  A good book of daily spiritual quotes and encouragement is also a part of my morning time, giving me the opportunity to include the wisdom and faith of the early Church Fathers and the Saints as well current writers.

   I encourage you to set aside time when you can get away from everything; work, telephone, TV, even your family.  Take that time to be alone with God.  I believe you will soon notice a great growth in your spiritual life and personal relationship with our Lord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment