Saturday, June 16, 2018


The Miracle of the Eucharist

“Now as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, ‘Take, eat; this is my body.’  And he took a chalice, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them, saying, ‘Drink of it, all of you; for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.”  (Matt 26: 26-28)

As I kneel, preparing to receive the blessed body and blood of my Lord and Savior, I am in awe of the miracle that is before me.  Jesus has again changed bread and wine into his body and blood.  They may appear as before, but they are not.  Jesus is truly present within. There are times when I am near tears as I contemplate the gift Christ has prepared for me.

There are those who would say that the Eucharist is only a symbol; just a way of remembering.  But that isn’t what scripture says.  Jesus said, “I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh.” (John 6: 51).  There is no ambiguity in this statement, no hint of symbolism.

His followers questioned how He could give His flesh and blood for them to eat and drink.  He didn’t back down He became more forceful, “Truly, truly I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of man and drink his blood, you have no life in you; he who eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day.  For my flesh is food indeed and my blood is drink indeed” (John 6: 53-55).  Again, there is no question that He is referring to His actual body and blood, not some symbolic act.

Many of His followers left Him because of this teaching.  He did not call them back to explain that he was just talking symbolically.  He allowed them to walk away from Him if they weren’t able to accept His teaching. 

Can I explain how a communion host becomes the Body of Christ or how the wine becomes the Blood of Christ during the consecration of the Holy Eucharist?  Yes, I can; it is a miracle.  Through the miracles of Jesus water became wine, Lazarus was raised from the dead, many were healed, and over five thousand were fed with two fish and a few loaves.  Through a miracle of Jesus the host and the wine truly become my Lord’s Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity.  To believe otherwise is to deny the plain words of our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment