Monday, June 4, 2018


The River of God

   One of my favorite images of living in God’s will is that of a river.  It is a journey from the head-waters to the sea of eternity.  As with any journey there is joy and excitement in beginning the journey.  I have great plans of all the wonderful things I will see and do along the way.  There is also anxiety; will I have the strength to make the trip; can I handle the trials and challenges that will come my way?

   As soon as the decision is made I hear Satan calling me back.  “You can’t make this trip.  You don’t have the strength or the courage to face all that will come your way.  Just go ahead and give up now rather than wasting time attempting something you know you can’t achieve.”  But I’m determined; I get in the boat and begin my journey.

   The head-waters of a river can be quite turbulent.  The small streams or creeks which join to begin what will become a great river create turmoil as they mix.  The waters rush against each other causing choppiness in the small river.  The beginning of my journey in the boat of God’s will is no different.  I hear the things of my previous life tempting me.  Satan still tries his best to stop this journey before it can even truly get started.  I have to struggle to maintain my faith and seek God’s courage to continue.

   As the river grows a bit wider the waters settle some.  The ride becomes much more enjoyable and easier.  As first I think the worst is over.  I’m high on the early success of getting past the head-waters and into the calm.  I don’t recognize the danger of my enthusiasm.  Challenges lie ahead that will tempt me to again consider whether or not I made the right decision to begin this trip.  But right now I’m happy and exuberant in my adventure.

   Further down river I see the beginning of rough waters.  The rapids of temptation and doubt.  Again Satan calls, telling me that I will surely drown in those rapids.  I’m too weak and not experienced in riding the rapids.  I’ll be thrown from the boat and beaten against the rocks.  Surely I’ll die.  But I look beyond the rough waters and I see Jesus holding out His hands to me.  He hushes the doubts of Satan and emboldens me to come to Him.

   Along the way there are inns to provide a respite from the river and a chance to rest and recharge for the next leg of the journey.  This rest and refreshment is found in the Mass and Sacraments which strengthen me and renew my courage and determination to stay the course; to continue in the will God.

   Throughout the trip I will experience highs and lows; safety and danger.  But the trip is worth it.  Living in God’s will was never promised to be easy and difficulties are to be expected.  The trials and crosses I may be caused to bear are nothing compared to beauty and joy of reaching the great Sea of God.  I will stay the course and rest in God’s hands throughout eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment