Sunday, September 9, 2018

The Dark Night

   St. John of the Cross wrote “The Dark Night of the Soul”.  It is a story of times when one’s faith is tested and when even the presence of God is uncertain.  The dark night can do one of two things.  It can build one’s faith or destroy it.  By remaining strong in faith even when tested it grows even stronger and will carry one through the hard times in their spiritual life.  By allowing the testing to cause discouragement and doubt it can rob one of their faith.

   History proves that there will always be dark nights.  My Church has known many times of heresy when faith was questioned and challenged.  There have been many periods of persecution when those who believed were punished, tortured and killed in the most hideous ways.  Nero killed Christians by drenching them in oil, tying them to street lamps and setting them on fire to provide light for the night.  The church has survived and flourished in spite of many terrible things through the years.

   There have been bad popes, yet the Dogmatic teachings of the Church have never changed because of them.  There have been anti-popes who tried to usurp the legitimate popes, some with the help of kings and queens, yet the Church has remained strong.

   Today, as times in the past, my Church is being tested and is scandalized by some who have disgraced themselves and disregarded their commitment to God.  This is not the first time nor will it be the last time of testing for the Church.  And yet, the Church will continue as it has since Christ established it upon the earth.

   For me the fact that we have survived all these things and still cling to the teachings of Christ as written and as passed on by the apostles tells me that the Church will never falter; it will never fail.  We will continue to worship our God and serve our Lord as has always been done in times of testing and darkness.

   I am not Catholic because of any earthly person or thing.  I am not Catholic because of the Pope or the Priests or the Nuns or the Brothers; they are all human and subject to sin.  I am Catholic because of Jesus Christ.  He strengthens me with His word; He comforts me in times of sorrow; He strengthens me in times of trial; He feeds me through the Eucharist.  I did not stop believing because one of the apostle’s betrayed Him or because one denied Him.  I will not stop believing because some have brought shame upon themselves and my Church.  I am and will remain Catholic because of Jesus and all He teaches.

   “And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.”  (Matt 28: 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment