Tuesday, September 18, 2018


The Face of Jesus



   It’s good to put a face with a name.  We hear this sentiment often, especially in these days of emails and texts.  In many cases we may have worked with or had contact with someone for years but never met them in person.  I’m not sure why knowing what they look like is so important, but we always look forward to the opportunity to meet them face to face.

   I think the same is true with Jesus.  We try to put our worldly expectations of what He should look like into our version of who He is.  Except for the fact that He was Jewish we really have no idea of what He looked like.  The many images we see of Him in paintings and on crucifixes reflect the ideas of the painter or sculpture.

   Do these various images of Him affect the way we see Him?  In some ways I believe they do.  Having a fixed image of what Jesus is supposed to look like may keep us from seeing Him in others.  If we expect Him look like us, what about those who are different?  We need to see Christ in everyone regardless of their appearance.  Those who claim Christianity should never retain bigoted and bias views of others.  All are children of God regardless of their earthly appearance.

   It’s natural for us to see Jesus as looking similar to us.  We are more comfortable with a Savior we can identify with in an earthly manner.  But we must keep in mind that our version of Him is just that; our version.  People of other races and backgrounds will see Him in their own image just as we do.  We must get past the earthly image and focus on the divine if we are to truly follow His commandment to love our neighbor as ourselves.



   “I see Jesus in every human being. I say to myself, this is hungry Jesus, I must feed him. This is sick Jesus. This one has leprosy or gangrene; I must wash him and tend to him. I serve because I love Jesus.”  (Saint Mother Teresa of Calcutta)

No comments:

Post a Comment