Sunday, November 26, 2023

 The Bread of Life 

   “I am the living bread that came down from heaven.  Whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.” (John 6: 54) 

   “My Lord, my God, my Savior.  I come before you on my knees in thanksgiving for the gift of your Body and Blood in the Blessed Sacrament.  I come before you in sorrow for my many sins, the sins that nailed you to that cross.  Forgive me I pray, and never allow me to sin against you again.”

   I always say the above prayer when I go before Jesus Christ in the Blessed Sacrament whether in the adoration chapel or in the Church.  Nothing strengthens me in faith more than the fact that the Son of God loves me so much that He would humble Himself to be present in what appears to be just a simple piece of unleavened bread.  I am in awe of such love.  I wish I could love Him with the same perfect love with which He loves me; but that is not possible due to my human imperfections.  But I can and do love Him to the best of my ability.

   When I serve at the Altar during Mass and have the honor and blessing of assisting the priest in the consecration of the bread and wine, the miracle of the Holy Eucharist, I am overwhelmed with love for Him, and I recognize how unworthy I am to receive Him in the Eucharist. 

   There is not the least doubt within me that the Blessed Sacrament is, in truth, the glorified Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of my Lord, Jesus Christ.  I need no proof other than His word, “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you do not have life within you.” (John 6: 50)

    My Lord, forgive my sins, make me yours and yours alone.  Feed me with your Body and Blood until I leave this world and come to you in God’s eternal kingdom.

 

1 comment: