Saturday, November 18, 2023

 Why I Am Catholic 

   “Amen, amen, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you do not have life within you.  Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up on the last day.  For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink.” (John 6: 53 – 55) 

   There is turmoil within the Church; people who would trade the truth of Christ for the whims and desires of a sinful society.  This isn’t the first time the Church has dealt with such issues, and it will most likely not be the last.  The laity seeks and deserves the truth and teachings of Christ.  Any less only causes confusion and difficulty for the faithful.

   Many heresies have arisen throughout the history of the Church.  Those who mistakenly, though perhaps sincerely, believed what they were teaching.  Each has been overcome and any new ones that may arise will also be overcome by the power of the Holy Spirit.

   Humans have sometimes failed in their understanding of the faith, but the Holy Spirit is the protector and defender of the faith, and the Spirit will never fail.  “The Advocate, the holy Spirit that the Father will send in my name – he will teach you everything and remind you of all that I told you.” (John 14: 26).

   So, why am I Catholic?  I’m not Catholic because of the Pope, or Cardinals, or Bishops, or Priests.  I’m Catholic because my Lord gave up His life on the cross to offer me redemption and the forgiveness of my sins.  I am Catholic because, through the miracle of the Eucharist, I am fed with the Glorified Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Jesus Christ, the Bread of Life come down from heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment