Saturday, August 4, 2018


Follow Me



   “And as he passed on, he saw Levi the son Alphaeus sitting at the tax office, and he said to him, ‘Follow me.’  And he rose and followed him.”  (Mark 2: 13)



   Levi was a tax collector, one of the most hated of Jews.  He collected taxes for the Romans.  His means of income was to overtax the people and keep the excess collected.  Tax collectors were considered traitors by the Jewish people.

   Levi would also be called Matthew, an apostle and author of Matthew’s gospel.  I’m always amazed and encouraged by the people Jesus called to Himself.  He didn’t consider their current state but saw what they could be by following Him.

   None of the apostles were men one would expect to be called to become those who would spread the gospel far and wide.  Fishermen, tax collectors and such were the one’s Jesus called.  Not the religious leaders of the time but those who likely had little formal religious education.

   I am encouraged by the way Jesus called His apostles because it shows that I can also be called.  Even though I’m not worthy, Jesus can make me one of his disciples if I will allow it.  Yet, He won’t force Himself upon me, He will wait for me to respond to His call.  Should Matthew have not gotten up and followed Jesus he would have remained just as he was; a tax collector for the Romans.  If I choose to ignore God’s call I too will remain just as I am; as sinful man underserving of God’s love.

   But the love of Jesus is such that He will change me if I will let Him.  He will take me from the sinfulness of this world and, through His mercy and grace, give me the joy of eternal life with Him.

   Each of the apostles had to make a choice about Jesus.  They were not pushed or prodded one way or the other; the choice was entirely theirs to make.  The same choice is offered to me; I can remain in my sin or I can answer Jesus’ call and become His disciple.



   “but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” (Joshua 24: 15)


No comments:

Post a Comment