Friday, August 31, 2018


God Sees



   “Where can I hide from your spirit?  From your presence, where can I flee?”  (Ps 139: 7)



   If we fully understood the implications of Psalm 139 I believe we would live much differently.  Regardless of where we are, what we are doing, saying or even thinking God is there.  We can’t hide from Him though many try.  He is there, He knows everything about us.

   Imagine how our lives might be changed if we recognized that everything we do is known to God.  No matter how well we hide our actions from others, God sees them.  No matter what lies we tell, God knows the truth.  Would that change the way we live?  I believe it would.

   If a husband recognized that his wife would know of his unfaithfulness, would he still commit adultery?  Perhaps one with a hard heart and no love in them would commit the sin anyway.  But if there were just the smallest bit of love for his wife and the hurt that would be caused I think he might reconsider and remain faithful.

A businessman who knew that everyone would be aware of their underhanded and perhaps illegal business practices might rethink his business ethics.  A politician who was certain that her lies and broken promises would be known to all might consider doing what is best for those who elected her rather than benefit herself.  Those who are powerful and misuse their power might repent and change their ways if they considered that God sees all.

   The fact is God does see.  He does know.  The things we do that we want no one to know are manifest to Him.  The things we should do but don’t are known; the things we say, the thoughts we have, the hatred we harbor for others.  Every part of us is an open book to God; nothing can be hidden.

   We should strive to live in such a way that we wish God to see and want Him to know all that we do.  We should welcome His influence and guidance in our thoughts, actions and in every part of our life.  To me that is a big part what Christianity and faith in God means.  Of course, we will fail to live up to that goal as does everyone.  We are broken by sin and need God’s forgiveness and mercy.  But if we do our best to live the way God wants I know He will forgive us and help us in our efforts.



   “Probe me, God, know my heart; try me, know my concerns.  See if my way is crooked, then lead me in the ancient paths.”  (Ps 139: 23 -24)

No comments:

Post a Comment