Monday, August 27, 2018


Silent Contemplation



   I spent this morning with my Lord.  I left home about six-thirty, went to church and sat in a quiet chapel and prayed.   A little later I went to Mass and gave praise and worship to God and received my Lord in Communion.  I then went for a walk around the church grounds, found a picnic table under a shade tree and sat enjoying the beauty of God’s creation.

   Later I went back to the chapel and sat in silent contemplation.   I said nothing but quieted my mind to be totally present with God.  Words are wonderful but silence in golden; particularly when wanting to truly experience God’s presence.

   At times my prayers seem to be a list of things that I’m asking of God rather than a two-way conversation.  If I stop and think about it, God already knows what I’m going to say in my prayers so words aren’t really needed.  Still I think God wants me to come to Him in petition and tell Him the things I think I need and ask for His graces and mercy.  I don’t question whether He will answer my prayers because I know that He will.  The answer may not be the one I was expecting but it will be the one that is right.

   It seems simple but sitting in silence and trying to completely focus on God can be difficult.  My mind wants to wander, it wants to be active and resists the inactivity of silent contemplation.  To quiet myself, it sometimes helps to focus on the crucifix, the blessed sacrament or even just a candle.  Even then outside thoughts intrude and force me to once again quiet myself.  I’m convinced that the distractions are the work of Satan.

   Vocal prayer is of great value and I will always pray the prayers of the church and the spontaneous prayers of my heart.  These are necessary to a full spiritual life.  But there is a special quality and spirituality to silent prayer.  Perhaps it’s because then I’m not speaking but listening; allowing God to speak to me.  Sometimes I need to just shut up and let Him talk.  I can’t say that a great voice from heaven comes to me but I am aware of His presence within me and the peace and joy that comes with that presence.  I’m also convinced that He guides me through these times of silence even though I may not even be aware of it.

   I will take the opportunity to spend quiet time with my Lord and listen to hear His plan for me.  In the silence He is there.



“Be still and know that I am God!” (Psalm 46: 11)

No comments:

Post a Comment