Monday, May 6, 2019


One Day at a Time

   “So do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring worries of its own.  Today’s trouble is enough for today.” (Matt 6:34)

   I’ve read the passage above many times and always thought it to be wise advice.  However, I don’t think I’ve ever truly practiced what it is advising.  It’s hard to trust the future to God and His plan rather than impose our own will.  If we are to truly not worry about tomorrow that is what we must do.

   We are conditioned to be concerned about the future.  Those who live for today are called foolish for not planning for tomorrow and the day after and the day after that.  Yet, we have no certainty of tomorrow, or even the next minute.  If it is God’s will to call us from this world it will be done and all our plans are for nothing.

   I understand that we must look to the future and plan but so many times we let the worries of tomorrow over-ride and block out the beauty and blessings of this day.  We spend the day focused on what will come tomorrow rather than what is ours today.  We miss the beauty of this day worrying about the clouds of tomorrow.

   I’ve found that there are circumstances that make Jesus’ advice more profound and necessary.  Times when simply getting through this day is not a certainty.  Days when all I can do is focus on today and go to God for comfort and peace.  If tomorrow comes I will focus on getting through that day when it comes.  Today truly has trouble enough.

   I am comforted because I know that He is always there beside me.  He will help me through the difficult days and bring me to His peace.  God is my stronghold.  He is my fortress.  In Him I find safety, love and mercy.

Father, even in the darkest times You are there.
In my trials You bring peace and calm.
Be with me this day and every day.
I turn to You, confident in Your love and mercy.

Amen




No comments:

Post a Comment