Tuesday, July 16, 2019


Faith

   “Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.”  (Heb 11: 1)

   We are called to faith.  We have never seen Christ, but we have faith in Him.  We believe He died on the cross to free us from the slavery to sin though we did not witness it.  Such is faith.  It doesn’t rely on physical evidence but spiritual assurance.  We believe and have confidence that what Jesus taught, what the bible teaches, is true.  Do we always understand?  No; nor can we prove what we believe by faith.

   In faith I am confident that what I receive in Holy Communion is the body, blood, soul and divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ.  What I see is bread and wine; faith tells me that beyond what I see is a reality I can’t explain and have no need to.  Faith tells me it is true, a miracle performed by God.

   Faith tells me that the love my wife and I shared in this life is never-ending because it is a love based in God.  A love given by God for us to share; a blessing.  All love comes from God who is love itself.  God is eternal so the love He gives is eternal as well.  I am confident that I will be reunited with my wife in heaven and our love for one another and for God will be eternal.

   Some resist a belief in God based on faith yet believe that they will awaken in the morning and that the sun will rise.  There is no certainty that such will occur.  We expect it in faith based on past experience. The world may no longer exist tomorrow.  We have no proof that we, our world or the universe will continue to exist beyond this very second.  We expect it and believe it on faith.

   Without faith there is no hope.  With it the world becomes a more joyful and beautiful place.  We see God in His creation and recognize that this is a mere shadow of what is to come.  Faith is life-giving.

Lord I believe; I have faith.
Strengthen my belief; deepen my faith.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment