Tuesday, July 23, 2019


Glory to God

   “I will glory not because I am righteous, but because I am redeemed; I will glory not because I am free from sins, but because my sins are forgiven me.”  (St. Ambrose)

   Each day I fail; each day I sin in some way.  Satan delights in tempting me and at times I don’t even recognize the temptation.  A driver pulls out in front of me or cuts me off nearly causing a wreck.  My first reaction is to call them an “idiot” or some other derogatory term.  Once again I have sinned by allowing my emotions over-ride my love.  Try as I may this scene is repeated far too often.

   So many people seem to think that anyone who claims to be Christian must also be perfect.  Any sin or failure indicates that all Christians are hypocrites.  They use the slightest slip as “proof” that Christianity is false.  They can’t seem to understand that we are not sinless but forgiven and striving to sin less.

   “If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.”  (1 John 1: 8).  I recognize that I am not now nor will I ever be perfect in this life.  I have sinned and will sin again.  Only through the mercy of God can I hope for perfection in the next.

   I give all glory to God for without Him there is no perfection.  Without Him there is no holiness or righteousness.  Without God and the redemption purchased for me by the sacrifice of Jesus Christ there is no forgiveness of sin.  I glory only in the love and mercy of God.  He is my hope, my stronghold, the focus of all glory and praise.

Father I am a sinner.
Jesus gave His life that I may be forgiven.
Forgive my sins I pray.
Strengthen me as I struggle to avoid sin.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment