Monday, July 15, 2019


Possessed

   When people hear the word “possessed” I think a lot of times the first thing that comes to mind is a movie such as “The Exorcist” or “The Amityville Horror.”  I don’t think most people consider possession as a real experience.  They may be shaken a bit by the movie but ease their anxiety by the idea that it was “just a movie”.  They don’t want to hear that “The Exorcist” was based on an actual exorcism of one who was most definitely possessed by demons.

   There are many kinds of possession, not all as terrifying as depicted in the movies and such.  Some people are possessed of themselves; they are their top priority.  They are prideful, selfish and concerned only for their own well-being.  Others are possessed by earthly treasures.  They care more for money, new cars, bigger and better houses; anything that’s newer, bigger and better.  Those possessed in this way would never believe that they are possessed by evil, yet self-serving pride is a sin and sin is the realm of Satan.

   Thankfully, there is another kind of possession.  One that everyone should seek and willingly submit to.  That is the possession of self by the Lord.  The indwelling of the Holy Spirit; Christ within us.

   St. Paul wrote, “I have been crucified with Christ; it is on longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me; and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.” (Gal 2: 20).  This is the possession that leads to heaven.  This is the possession we should pray for and lovingly accept with all our hearts, all our minds and all our souls.

   My Pastor strongly recommends saying this small prayer several times a day.

Jesus I love you, possess me.
Jesus I love you, possess me.
Jesus I love you, possess me.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment