Wednesday, July 17, 2019


The Shelter of God

   “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High, who abides in the shadow of the Almighty, will say to the Lord, ‘My refuge and my fortress; my God, in whom I trust.’” (Ps 91: 1 – 2)

   God is a shelter and a comfort to those who love Him.  When the Israelites fled Egypt He parted the Red Sea so they could walk across on dry land.  When the Egyptians followed He allowed the sea to return.  When Joshua led the Israelites into the promised land, God parted the waters of the Jordan to allow them to cross on dry land.

   Daniel was thrown into the lion’s den to be killed.  The next day He was found alive and unharmed.  Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego refused to bow before the golden idol and were thrown into the fiery furnace.  They walked around in the flames praising God.  When released there was not even the smell of smoke on them.

   These are just a few of the many scriptural examples of the care God takes for those who love Him.  Throughout history there have been many other examples of God protecting believers.

   What does this mean to me?  It means that my God loves me and cares for me.  He will protect me and guide me through the trials of this world.  He will comfort me in sorrow and protect me from the temptations of Satan.  All this He will do if I give myself to Him and place myself under His sheltering love.

   It doesn’t mean that my life will be free from suffering.  Suffering is a part of life and we all experience it in some way.  However, when I trust in the Lord I have a protector who loves me and will help me through those times, bringing comfort and healing.

Lord, in Your love is protection and comfort.
Keep me safe within Your care.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment