Friday, July 19, 2019


My Sins, His Blood

   “But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us.” (Romans 5: 8)

   I sometimes sit quietly and contemplate the passion and death of Jesus Christ.  In this way I am reminded that I am a sinner.  He died for my sins and offers me redemption.  I again realize my unworthiness and His great love.  I again give thanks for the gift of His love and sacrifice for me.

   Every lash of the scourging is the result of the sins I’ve committed and will commit again.  Each thorn of the crown of thorns reminds me of the times I’ve failed Him.  The nails through His hands and feet are the result of my ungodliness.  His death on the cross was to pay the price I am unable to pay; the price of redemption and the chance for salvation.

   Recognizing my own faults and failings is never easy.  The realization that my sins are what caused Him to suffer and die tears at my heart.  The blood He shed was to wash away my sins.  I am reminded of how loving and merciful our Lord is; so merciful that He would choose to die for me.  It is a lesson in humility.  I’m convicted of causing the death of Jesus.
 
   Yet is it also a source of joy.  Though I have sinned and will sin again, my God loves me so much that He made it possible for me to be forgiven.  He gives me another chance.  Regardless of how often I fail, He waits to lovingly and mercifully forgive.  He paid the price; His mercy is unbounded; His love eternal.  He wants me to come home to Him and has prepared a place for me.

   In my sinfulness I turn to Him in sorrow and shame, seeking forgiveness.  In His love He gives it.  My efforts to be holy may fail but He will sustain me, forgive me and strengthen me to try and try again.  I am His and seek only His will.

Lord I am a sinful man.
I turn to You and ask forgiveness.
In Your love You cleanse me of my sins.
Help me to better serve you in all things.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment