Tuesday, July 2, 2019


Who Am I?

   I’ve considered this question many times.  How do I identify myself; who am I?  I suppose there could be many answers to the question but there’s only one that really matters.

   I could answer that I am a man, a father, a brother, uncle, grandfather.  I could respond that I am a retired Navy Master Chief Petty Officer.  I’ve lived, at least for some time, in nine states and two foreign countries.  I’ve tried, though I’m sure I’ve failed many times, to do the best I could in all that I’ve done.  Yet none of this matters in the world to come.

   I am recently widowed, yet still in love with my wife.  In my heart I am still married and simply waiting to be reunited with her when my life on this earth is done.  The love God blessed us with did not and will not end with death.  It will continue through eternity.  This is the love that God shares; love that never lessens, never ends, but continues to deepen.

   Who am I?  The right answer, the only answer that really matters, is I am a child of God.  My life is His, He gave it, and, in His own time, He will take it.  All I have, everything I will ever have has been given me by God.  My hope of salvation is a gift of God.  He sent His son to pay the price for my sins, opening the doors to heaven if I choose to follow Him.  The choice has been made, I will follow Him in all things to the best of my ability and seek His forgiveness when I fail.

   Who we are in this world is of no value in the next, regardless of fame, fortune or status.  The only thing that matters is our relationship with God.  The joys of this world can’t compare with the joys of heaven.  The sorrows and pains of this world can’t compare with the sorrow and pain of eternity without God.

   I am a child of God.

Lord, You have adopted me into Your family.
My prayer is that I may be a faithful son.
One you will welcome into Your heavenly home.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment