Thursday, December 8, 2022

 The Lord is Coming 

   “For today in the city of David a savior has been born for you who is the Messiah and Lord.” 

   As we grow closer to celebrating the birth of our Lord we need to stop and take the time to consider the preparations we are making.  Are we preparing to welcome Jesus or we more concerned with what gifts are under the tree and which parties we plan to attend?

   This year, as every year, Christmas seems to be more about the gifts and the money it takes to get them than for celebrating the birth of Jesus.  Stores put up decorations, but few of them have anything to do with Christ.  People decorate their yards, but rarely is a nativity scene present.  It’s all about Santa Clause and the gifts.  I wonder how many know that Santa's origin lies in St. Nicolas.  He was known for his generosity and helping the poor as well as his unwavering defense of the faith.  From his charity, Santa Claus was born.

   It used to be that the spiritual and the secular sides of Christmas were somewhat complimentary or at least they weren’t antagonistic.  Today, employees at stores don’t wish customers “Merry Christmas” for fear of losing their job.  My response to the ridiculous “Happy Holidays” is to always reply “Merry Christmas”.

   Not too long ago those who didn’t believe didn’t try to eliminate those who do.  Now, even the mention of Christmas brings cries of offense and “triggering”, whatever that means.  I would never try to force others to celebrate Christmas in my way, but I will not stand for them trying to steal this blessed time from me.

   Christmas is one the high points of my year.  At Christmas I recall and celebrate the birth of my Savior.  I give thanks that God loves me so much that He would become a man, a baby born of women, in order to give us eternal life.  I take the time to express my gratitude for all God has done for me and offer Him all I am or ever will be as my gift to Him.

   For those who don’t believe I wish a “Merry Christmas” and pray that they come to know the true meaning of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment