Wednesday, December 28, 2022

 What is Yet to Come 

   “What we get afterward we choose here; and what we reap there we sow here.” (St. Augustine) 

   My life is a choice.  I have the ability to choose where I will spend eternity.  I do so each day by the decisions I make, the actions I take and the way I live my life.

   God offers great blessings to all who are willing to accept them.  The key is that we have to choose to receive those blessings.  He will not bless our sinfulness or our arrogance and pride.  If our heart is full of worldly desires there is no room in our heart for the blessings He wants to give us.

   When this life ends I will be judged by our Lord Jesus Christ.  I don’t envision a great big book listing everything I’ve ever done or a reading of every sin I’ve ever committed.  There is no score sheet on which the good must outweigh the bad.  My sins have been forgiven if I’ve earnestly and sincerely sought forgiveness and the psalmist tells me, “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our sins from us.” (Psalm 103: 12)

   I will be judged by how well I’ve integrated the will of God into my life; how I’ve tried to be the man that God created me to be.  I know that there are times when I fail, but God knows of my weakness and is merciful.  I believe my desire to serve Him and the effort I make to do so are what truly matters.  Of course the efforts must be honest and diligent; lukewarmness will not suffice.

   What awaits me in the next life is up to me.  If I have tried my best; if I have sorrowed when I failed; if I have gotten up after each fall and tried harder; if I have done all these things then I believe that I will hear Jesus say to me, “Come, you who are blessed by my Father.  Inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.” (Matt: 25: 34).

No comments:

Post a Comment