Thursday, December 1, 2022

 Foolish Pride 

   “Anyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and anyone who humbles himself will be exalted.” (Matt 23: 12) 

   We are a prideful people.  We take pride in so many things; our appearance, the car we drive, the house we live in.  The more money we have the bank the prouder we become.  At some point our pride will bring us down for as scripture says, Pride goes before disaster, and a haughty spirit before a fall.” (Proverbs 16: 18).

   Even in our spiritual life pride can become a problem.  Do those who serve at Mass or proclaim God’s word as lector, or sing in the choir do so to give glory to God or to gain recognition?  Do they humbly acknowledge the blessing of being able to serve or seek the recognition and adulation of others for their efforts?  No matter our ministry, there is a danger of becoming prideful rather than offering all to the glory of God.

   In my own life I often struggle with pride.  If I seem to be growing closer to God in my spiritual life it’s quite easy to take the credit, and pat myself on the back.  However, the truth is that whatever good I do is strictly by the grace of God.  If I fall into the trap of pride my focus shifts to self and away from God.

   St. Paul wrote, “Whoever boasts, should boast in the Lord.” (2 Cor 17)  If I have done well in life it is by the grace of God.  If I am healthy and happy it is because of His blessings.  If I grow in grace it is only by the grace that the Lord has given.  There is nothing that is not of God; for me to boast otherwise is to steal the praise and glory due Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment