Sunday, July 29, 2018


For Love of Christ



   Several years ago a group of men from the parish I was attending went overseas to help in a missionary project.  They spent a couple of weeks working with the poorest of the poor in the hospital/hospice run by the group they went to support.

   On Sunday morning while waiting for Mass at the missionary chapel a friend of mine saw an elderly lady coming to join them at Mass.  He said she seemed to be in pain and barely able to walk so he went to help her the rest of the way to the church.  In talking with her he learned that walking was quite painful for her due to earlier illnesses.  Yet she was coming to church every week from quite a distance, walking each way by herself.

   My friend mentioned to her that, because of her situation, God would understand if she missed Mass from time to time when she had no one to help her get there.  The lady responded, “Jesus suffered and died because He loves me.  Should I not come to show Him my love for Him?”  His eyes got a bit teary as he told me of that little lady and her determination to love Jesus regardless of how hard it may be.

   How many times have I considered missing Mass?  Not because of pain and difficulty but simply because it wasn’t convenient at the time.  Perhaps I was on vacation and didn’t know where the local Catholic Church was.  Maybe I was just tired or not feeling totally well.  After all, God surely understands that we might miss Mass occasionally.

   When Satan rears his ugly head and suggests that going to Mass this week is too much of a bother I sometimes remember the little lady who loved her Lord so much.  I am ashamed that I should even consider not making every possible effort to go and worship my Lord.  Like the woman said, “Jesus suffered and died because He loves me.  Should I not come to show Him my love for Him?”

No comments:

Post a Comment