Saturday, July 28, 2018


Parable of the Sower



  Jesus often taught the crowds in parables.  To His apostles He explained their meaning.  In Matthew chapter 13, verses 18 thru 23 Jesus gave His apostles greater understanding of this parable.

    The sower went to sow the crop, scattering the seeds.  Some landed on the road where they were quickly eaten by the birds.  When the word of God is sown some will hear it but will not understand.  If they remain unknowing, the word will be quickly taken away by Satan and his evil temptations.  Once the word is heard learning and better understanding is needed to make it produce a good crop.

   Some of the seed fell on rocky ground.  The soil of our heart may hear the word and enthusiastically accept it yet not retain it or practice it.  Without proper tending the seed may last for a while but soon dies out.  The roots must go deep into the heart and soul of the believer if it is to flourish.

   Seed that falls among the thorns may soon be smothered out.  Some hear and understand the word but do not faithfully practice it over time.  It can be overcome by the desires and pleasures of this world.  The word does no lasting good; no fruit is produced.

   Finally, the word is received by those who hear and understand the word.  They strive to learn more and deepen their faith, living their life in a manner pleasing to God.  These will bear abundant fruit and share the word of God with others, spreading the seeds of salvation.

   I look at this parable as an opportunity to review my life and determine where I am in my relationship with my Lord.  Even though I want to be the good soil rich in nutrients that bears the fruit of God’s love I find that sometimes I’ve fallen back into less faithful practices.  The seed sometimes suffers because of my laziness and apathy.

   In our lives as Christians I think most of us tend to have ups and downs in our faith life.  It’s necessary that I frequently take the time to evaluate where I am in my effort to love and honor my God.  By doing so it gives me the chance to ask forgiveness for my short-comings and refocus my efforts to better serve the Lord.



“and the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God who lives me and gave himself for me.” (Gal 2: 20)

No comments:

Post a Comment