Wednesday, July 11, 2018


Knowledge of the Heart



   For years I’ve studied Scripture and my faith.  I have learned quite a lot but mostly what I’ve learned is there is far more to learn that what I’ve attained in my studies.  For everything I know there are multitudes of things I don’t know and will not know in this world.

   This bothered me for a while.  We are used to setting out to finish what we start.  In this effort there is no finish to be had.  Spiritual knowledge doesn’t have an end, it can continue forever.  It simply isn’t possible to know all there is to know about God and His will for us.  The best we can do is learn what we can and leave the rest to Him.  The knowledge I’ve gained is great and I would do it all over again.  But knowledge of facts isn’t the same as knowledge of God. 

   No education, no college degree can teach us who God is.  We can’t learn the depth of His love in a book alone.   It takes the heart and soul as well as the mind if we are to begin to know our Lord.

   There are some questions that simply can’t be answered.  I can’t know why some people suffer and others don’t.  Yet I know that suffering is a necessary thing for us.  As Christ suffered for us we should willing accept suffering in living our life for Him.

   I can’t know why evil exists.  But I know that even evil can be used by God to accomplish a good.  The perfect example is the passion and death of our Lord.  No greater evil has ever been done than that of killing the Son of God, our Savior.  But from that evil came the greatest good; the gates of heaven were reopened, giving us the opportunity for forgiveness of our sins and the chance to spend eternity with our God.

   People with no formal education in theology may have as much or more knowledge of God than the most learned theologian.  Knowing God is as much of the heart as of the head.  In fact I believe we can have a much better understanding of God through our heart than we could ever obtain through education.  The Apostles were simple uneducated men but came to be the ones who would evangelize the world.  They were able to do this not from the study of books but through knowing Jesus and loving Him in their hearts.

   Knowledge is a wonderful thing and I fully intend to continue gaining as much knowledge as God gives me time to obtain.  Yet if I have to choose between studying God through books or learning of Him in my heart and soul I will take the personal relationship over books every time.




No comments:

Post a Comment