Friday, April 24, 2020


A Visit From the Lord

  “Zacchaeus, come down quickly, for today I must stay at your house.” (Luke 19: 5)

   Zacchaeus must have been in total shock.  Here was Jesus, who was said to be the Messiah, inviting Himself to stay with him at his house.  He would dine with him, talk with him, and even answer questions Zacchaeus might have.

   Imagine if Jesus were to come back today, knock on your door and say, “I wish to stay with you this night.”  How would you react?  What would you do or say?  Would there be things you need to put out of sight before you let Him in?  Are you prepared to have Jesus visit your home and your heart?

   When I consider such a visit it forces me to look deep within myself and consider if I am prepared to welcome Jesus into my home.  Would I feel blessed or afraid of what He might find?

   Given this opportunity, what the conversation be like?  What questions might I want to ask?  Would I want the answers to deep theological questions or more down-to-earth advice on how to live my life?  Would I question why I had to remain when my wife had gone to Him or simply thank Him for the many years of love and companionship He had given us?

   So many things that I don’t understand and perhaps am not capable of understanding.  Even His apostles weren’t given all the answers but were expected to trust and have faith in God’s plan.

   In some ways this visit happens in prayer.  I can ask the questions even though I don’t always get the answers.  He calls on me to trust and have faith just as He did the apostles.  Maybe I don’t need the answers, maybe I just need to place myself in His hands and trust.

Lord, I don’t know the answers.
But I trust in You.
Your plan is a mystery to me.
But I place myself in Your hands.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment