Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Love Your Neighbor

   “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” (Matt 22 - 39)

   Jesus was quite clear that we are to love others as we love self.  He did not offer any exemptions for the nosy neighbor who intrudes into everything or the rude co-worker who offends everyone.  In many ways this is one of the most difficult challenges of Christianity.

   I believe there is a clue to help us live this Christian virtue.  We are to love our neighbors “as ourselves”.  I find that there are many times when I find it hard to love, or even like, myself.  Perhaps I’ve been unkind to someone.  Maybe I’ve failed to keep a promise to someone or even to God.

   We also need to understand the difference between “love” and “like”.  Christian love is a love of others as children of God.  The greatest sinner remains a child of God; one that God loves and wants to save.  Our love is supposed to mirror, as best we can, that love.  Does that mean that we must like or associate with the sinful person or condone the sins being committing?  We are to love them and pray for their eternal soul, but must we like them?  I struggle with this difference.

   I suppose I may never resolve this problem in this life.  There are people I can’t imagine ever associating with or liking, but I am must love them as one of God's children.  Only with God can this be possible.

Loving others can be hard at times.
How am I to love one who is evil?
Help me to see everyone as Your child.
Help me love them as You love them.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment