Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Overcoming the World

   “And the victory that conquers the world is our faith.” (1 John 5: 4)

   Some versions of the Bible translate this scripture as “And this is the victory which overcometh the world, our faith.” (Douay-Rheims and King James Version).   I tend to think this translation is more applicable to my experience.  To conquer means to defeat and defeating Satan is beyond my power as a sinful man.

   To overcome means to prevail over rather than defeat.  I can, with the help of God, prevail over Satan and his temptations, but only Jesus can defeat him.  By His cross and resurrection, He has done so.  It is for me to resist and overcome his temptations with the help of our Lord.

   The world is a difficult place for those who want to follow God.  Satan seems to be very much in control of society, tempting me at every turn.  It’s important to realize that he can’t win unless I allow it.  He can tempt me, but he can’t force me to act.  He requires my participation.

   My battle with Satan will continue as long as I live.  If I could defeat him, he would no longer be a threat, but there will be times when I weaken and sin.  God will forgive my failures and strengthen me for the coming battles.  Through my faith and with His help I can overcome.

I am a sinful man.
Forgive me.
I am weak.
Strengthen me.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment