Monday, April 6, 2020


Cleansing the Temple of God

   “It is written, ‘My house shall be a house of prayer, but you have made it a den of thieves.’” (Luke 19: 45)

   When I consider Jesus' cleansing of the temple, driving out the money changers and those who were making it a marketplace, I am struck by the righteous anger He displayed for those desecrating the temple with their greed.  To see this in God’s temple was unthinkable to our Lord.  I believe He saw this as an abomination to God, an outrage that could not be allowed to continue.  I know of no other instance when our Lord became so enraged.

  I too am to be temple of God, as are all Christians.  Paul says, “Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Holy Spirit dwells within you?” (1 Cor 3: 16).  I too have, at times, desecrated that temple.  Like the money changers of Jesus’ time, I have sought earthly riches and pleasures.  I have chased the false gods of this world.  In my sinfulness, I have defiled God’s temple within me.

   As I consider the passion of our Lord during this Holy Week I am ashamed and sorrowful for the times I’ve failed Him; the times I’ve sought my own will rather than His.  May He drive out these evils within me, making of me the holy temple of God that I am called to be.

Lord, so many times I’ve failed You.
My sinfulness is my shame.
Cleanse Your temple within me.
Make it worthy of Your indwelling.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment