Saturday, November 19, 2022

 Accepting Salvation 

   “For God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him might not perish but might have eternal life.” (John 3: 16) 

   The Son of God, became man, lived, was crucified, died, was buried, rose from the dead, and ascended into heaven for one purpose; to offer salvation to the world.  There is nothing I can do to obtain salvation for myself, it is a gift of God, paid for in the blood of Jesus Christ on the cross at Calvary.  What I must do is accept the gift, acknowledging Jesus as my Lord and Savior.  The gift will not be given unless it is sought and accepted.

   How am I to accept this marvelous gift?  First I must accept that Jesus Christ is, in fact, my savior, the only means of salvation.  What He did He did because He loves me and wants me to spend eternity in God’s heavenly kingdom.  What He suffered and what He did He did for me.

   I must also accept the forgiveness that Christ offers.  When I turn to Him in sorrow and repentance for my sins I must trust that my sins are absolved.  Many times Satan tempts me to wonder if my sins were truly forgiven; salvation means confidence that “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our sins from us.” (Psalm 103: 12).  To do less is to deny the promises of Christ.

   Accepting salvation is not an event but a journey, a journey to the Lord.  It means a firm commitment to change my life and live for God.  There will be trials and difficulties along the way, but with God to strengthen me, I can overcome them.  I must say as St. Paul wrote, “I have been crucified with Christ; yet I live, no longer I, but Christ lives in me; insofar as I now live in the flesh, I live by faith in the Son of God who has loved me and given himself up for me.” (Gal 2: 19 – 21)

No comments:

Post a Comment