Saturday, November 5, 2022

 Eternity 

   “Eternity is without succession, a simultaneous possession of all joys.  To those who live toward eternity, it is not something at the end; it is that which influences every moment of the now.” (Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen) 

   Let me say right up front that I can’t fathom the meaning of eternity; it is beyond human understanding.  I live in a world bounded and ruled by time in most all things.  Even tonight, we will change the clocks in the U.S. as we once again shift from daylight savings time to standard time.  Trying to understand eternity in such a world is futile.

   I know that eternity is now and has been since before the world began and will continue after this world ceases to be.  But what does that mean in my daily life?  It means that I must always consider what effect my actions today will have on my eternal life.  Whether I will serve God or self, whether I will live for eternity of for today.  Without question, I must live for eternity.

   When I look at each day as part of eternity, it suggests that each day is of no real consequence.  What happens today will be gone tomorrow; what happens tomorrow may never come.  It’s like a giant circle that has no beginning and has no end, it simply goes on.  I can’t stop the circle and I can’t get off the circle, so I need to live my life always focused on the eternal.

   The circle is this world which was created by God, all within the circle was created by God, and nothing exists except through God.  He made it, He set its’ boundaries and He will determine when the circle ends.  My part in all of this is to live within the circle, recognizing that all that I do is part of eternity.

   Life is short and full of trials and tribulations.  Eternity with God is forever and is full of joy and happiness.  If people could see that and begin to realize that nothing in this world is of any lasting value, perhaps more would turn to the Lord and live for eternity.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment