Friday, November 25, 2022

 Christianity 

   “Christianity, if false, is of no importance and, if true, is of infinite importance.  The one thing it cannot be is moderately important.” (C.S. Lewis) 

   I am either a Christian or I am not; there really is no in-between.  I can’t be one who picks and chooses what parts of Christianity pertain to me and which don’t.  I’m either all in or I’m wasting my time and insulting Christ.

   I’ve often written about those who claim to be Christian but don’t live the life of a Christian.  They might go to church on Sunday, but they show no evidence of their professed faith the rest of the week.  They are the like those of the church of Laodicea, they are lukewarm in their faith.  Jesus very clearly objects to such tepidness in Christians.  He told the church of Laodicea, “I know your works; you are neither cold nor hot.  How I wish that you were either cold or hot  So, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I am about to spit you out of my mouth.” (Rev 3: 15 – 16).

   Christianity is a choice; we can choose to believe, or we can choose not to believe.  What we can’t do is pick and choose which teachings we will believe based on our own preference or opinion.  Christianity teaches God’s truth and there is no lessor or greater truth.  When we begin picking and choosing which we will accept and which we will ignore we become hypocrites.

   Jesus said, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14: 6).  There were no exceptions mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment