Sunday, November 6, 2022

 The Ship of Life 

   “The world’s thy ship, not thy home.” St. Therese of Lisieux 

   When I think of the times I spent on ship while in the Navy, one thing always comes to mind; I never considered my ship to be my home.  I was dedicated to the ship and its’ mission, but home is where I went when the cruise was finished.

   Life in this world is very much like that ship.  I should respect it, honor it, and do my best to properly steward the gifts of this world given to me by God.  But the ships of this world are not my home, only a means to reach my true home.

   I love this world and all the beauty God has put into the world.  A beautiful sunrise or sunset are reminders of the glory that awaits those who believe.  I look at the images coming from the Hubble and Webb telescopes and am amazed at the incredible creation of God.  The scientists say that they are looking further and further back toward the beginning of the universe but somehow I think they will never get there.  Only God is at the beginning, and they will never find Him in their telescopes.

   The ship of this world faces heavy storms and high seas at times, but it also brings me to beautiful ports of call along the way.  It doesn’t matter what life brings if I keep in mind that this world is simply a vessel that I am on, not my home.  This exile will end, the trials and tribulations will cease and by doing my best to live for God rather than self, I will come to know the true joy and happiness of God’s kingdom when this earthly voyage is done.

No comments:

Post a Comment