Thursday, January 11, 2024

 A Wonderful World 

   “I see trees of green, red roses too.  I see them bloom for me and you.  And I think to myself, what a wonderful world.” (“What a Wonderful World”, lyrics by George David Weiss and Robert Thiele) 

   As a younger man I saw the world differently than today.  The beauty and majesty of creation was often lost among the needs of the day in a busy life.  Today I am much more conscious of the beauty that surrounds me and recognize that such beauty can only have come from a loving God.

   While science looks for the reasons why the universe is as it is, I see it as an expression of God’s love for you and me.  I don’t understand how anyone can look at the incredible photos of the universe and not see the hand of the Creator.  Science tries but I suspect they will never fully understand our universe, and I wonder if that inability is part of the miracle, a means to teach us humility.

   Humanity seems to love a mystery, especially one that appears to be unsolvable.  Once we fully understand things we tend to dismiss them.   To me this demonstrates our search for something greater than ourselves.   As St. Augustine said, “You have made us for yourself O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in you.” (“Confessions”)

   When we place our faith, hopes, and trust in God we more clearly see the majesty of His creation.  Not only the universe at large but even the perfection of the simplest of things.  Most of all, we will begin to see and understand that all these miracles are the result of one thing and one thing only: the incredible love of God.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment