Monday, January 22, 2024

 The Body and Blood 

   “I am the living bread that came down from heaven.  Whoever eats this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give is my flesh, for the life of the world.” (John 6: 51) 

   I love my Catholic faith; it feeds my soul and leads me on the path to God.  But what I love most is receiving the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of my Lord in the Blessed Sacrament of the Eucharist.

   When I kneel to receive Communion at Mass I enter a place that I don’t understand.  It’s a place of waiting in great anticipation to receive my Lord physically in my body.  I am always conscious of the adage “you are what you eat.”  I want to reach that place where “The life I live now in the flesh I live by faith in the Son who loved me and gave Himself up for me.” (Gal 2: 20).

   If the world wants a renewal, if the Catholic Church wants renewal, that renewal must, in my opinion, come through the confidence and faith that the small wafer of unleavened bread received at Communion is, without question, the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of our Lord, Jesus Christ.

   I don’t understand the mystery of the Eucharist.  From a world view it seems to be impossible that such a thing as transubstantiation could be real.  But many things of God and of faith seem impossible when seen from the sinfulness of this world.  Only in faith and trust in the word of God can miracles such as the Eucharist be accepted.

   As St. Ignatius of Loyola said, “For those who believe, no proof is necessary.  For those who disbelieve, no amount of proof is sufficient.”  Faith conquers all unbelief.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment