Sunday, January 14, 2024

Why Did God Make Me? 

   “Why did God make you?  God made me to know Him, to love Him, and to serve Him in this world, and to be happy with Him forever in Heaven.” (Baltimore Catechism) 

   I love the simplicity of the Baltimore Catechism.  It teaches our faith succinctly and in words anyone can understand.  I also love delving into the depths of my faith, but the Baltimore Catechism sets the stage for further, deeper exploration of my belief in God.

   God made me to know Him.  I’ve come to realize that I can never fully know God in this lifetime but the search and desire to know Him better is what drives my faith.  I want to know as much as He is willing to reveal to me.

   He wants me to love Him.  Loving God is what man was created to do. Sadly, we have often failed miserably in these efforts.  But I’ve also learned that when we love God, even a little, His love in return is so fulfilling; it satisfies my soul.  The more I love Him, the more love I receive.  But there is a caveat involved.  The love I receive from God can never be held selfishly; it must be shared with others.

   He made me to serve Him in this world.  I love serving my Lord, it is an opportunity to give back to Him for all He has given me.  Though I can never serve Him perfectly as a sinful man, the desire to serve Him as fully as possible is a joy and a blessing.

   He made me to be happy with Him forever in Heaven.  Very simply, I can spend eternity with God in heaven or with Satan in hell.  There are no other options.  Those who believe this life is all there is will come to know, and to regret, how wrong they were.  I pray for the conversion of those who do not know God.

   These are the things God created me for.  But there is another benefit to doing all I can to comply with His wishes.  Those who love God and serve Him will not only be happy with Him in heaven, but He will share a foretaste of that happiness in this life.  The blessings He shares with me in this life are little in comparison to the joys of heaven and yet the joy and happiness they provide far exceed anything this world has to offer.  Knowing the presence and the love of God is the key to a happy life regardless of what circumstances may arise.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment